My new friend, Annie, recently introduced me to Mocha Club. Mocha Club is a community-based website where members can start a team and invite friends to join them in giving $7 a month – the cost of 2 mochas – to support a project in Africa. Mocha Club's vision is to provide a way for people who don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to make a difference in Africa. I was asked by Mocha Club to write about the concept of why ‘I need Africa more than Africa needs me.’
I need Africa more than Africa needs me... I am American. I am a westerner. I am also fortunate to have been on several missions trips where I've been able to get out of my comfortable little bubble and see more of the world and snipits of what others get to (or have to) experience through the ins and outs of their lives. Often when we as westerners return from missions trips, we come back quite humbled and overwhelmed with how much we have. We purge. We begin outreaches locally. We begin grandiose plans to save and protect the people we met wherever we had just returned from. We see the stark contrast between the material possessions that lay collecting dust around our houses with potentially many rooms, and the very few possessions they have in their humble abodes. These are all admirable things to take place in our hearts, homes, and churches upon return, but have you had the eyes to see the true wealth the people often do have which we do not?
I have yet to travel to Africa though it has occupied a place in my heart for many years now. I have several friends who have spent time in Africa and their stories when they return stir something within me that is to be sought after. I've also had the privilege to build relationship with a few people who are from Africa. I think many westerners have inaccurate perceptions about Africa. My guess is that when you think of Africa the thoughts that begin to travel through your mind are of despair and AIDS. Am I right? Have you thought perhaps Africa could be a place where joy and hope exist?
I've heard story upon story of westerners returning from Africa changed - not only from the time spent out of their self-focused world, but more so by the wealth of authentic hope and joy the people of Africa possess. They have a faith that transcends understanding. They rely on and look to our God who says He moves mountains. They call upon Him as JEHOVAH-JIREH: "The Lord will Provide," and JEHOVAH-ROPHE: "The Lord Who Heals." Seeing miracles take place is not a phenomenon or a cause to lasso in thousands of people and begin a revival - an occurrence that does take place in our western world. I do NOT mean the miracle is not a phenomenon in anyway to diminish the awesomness of God, but in the sense that it's not an uncommon occurrence for the people in Africa. They take God at His word and interact with Him from those places.
I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Are there villages that are impoverished to our western standards? Yes. Are there worthy causes to help? Yes. But are we to only see Africa as an object of charity? Absolutely not. Africa reminds me of how big our God really is. They walk in the truths of who God says He is and take Him at His word. They demonstrate true joy with the little they have - and not only that, but are community oriented. It's always amazing to me when I engage with people who have so little yet are the ones who are so willing and wanting to share and give. Africa reminds me that I ought not to be surprised by acts of healing or miracles God may choose to perform amongst us. We are to seek after them and call them out with boldness and in the authority we are already given in Christ. Africa reminds me to not get comfortable in a little western church or allow God to be put in a box. I need Africa because it reminds me to not limit the works God, but to expect greatness. I think God rains down where the people are ready to see and accept Him in the ways He chooses to manifest Himself. Can you handle the greatness of God? Are you preparing your fields for a harvest? Are you prepared and watching expectantly for God to move mightily in and all around you? Are you praying in boldness? "But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does." (James 1:6-8) Are you willing and ready to see that Africa and its diverse people have so much to offer? Are you ready to see Africa as a place of hope and joy?
What do you think? Do you need Africa? Share your thoughts in my comments. Allow it to be a good conversation starter over the dinner table, at work, or with your children. Be sure to come back Dec 1st to see what Mocha Club is up to and how we can make a difference.

I love this...so great! Thank you for sharing your heart. I love you!
ReplyDelete