What will forever be etched in my mind as "Day 16" was a gift of great proportions.
My heart swells and my tear ducts activate right now just as they did on that day. My mouth? Well, it's wrestling for words. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here I'll give you 9,000 words. [I'm SO thankful Priscilla was there, knew which camera was mine, and was present enough to recognize what was taking place. Thank you, Priscilla, for capturing these memories in images.]
Mia
Family. Forever.
9,000 words, and now some more...
One of the things I appreciated about my job [and the country we live in!] was the freedom to talk to the girls about Jesus. It was a "terrifying" and joyous surprise whenever the girls' mom would direct them to ask me any of the questions they had within the realm of anything "spiritual".
This was the third year the girls and I have attended VBS [Vacation Bible School] together. They LOVE it. A lot. Each year is full of new adventures - both within VBS, and also in my interactions with the girls in the time surrounding our hours at VBS.
Thursday ["Day 16"] at VBS they had a skit demonstrating Jesus dying on the cross for our sins [a few specific examples were referenced]. After the skit, the day ended with some worship and music [as each day does] and then the girls and I reconvened in the back somewhere. Without skipping any fragment of a beat whatsoever, Mia, wild-eyed, was telling me all about how Jesus died on the cross [even though she knew I was there and saw the whole thing]. Thankfully, my preoccupation with trying to brainstorm where to take our pictures that day didn't last long, and it suddenly registered what may be taking place.
[There were very few days that passed without the girls and I reading the Bible, talking about God, and praying together. I ensured Mia was always with us, but aside from praying, she didn't really engage with us much. She did like to pray, and one of her favorite things to talk about was how it rains because God tells it to and He gave us a rainbow as a promise to us, but not much beyond that. Sometimes
I knelt down on Mia's level and listened intently to every word she was saying. [Really, Lord, is this happening right now?] I pressed further asking her many questions to ensure she really comprehended and knew what she was talking about [versus just re-telling a story/skit]. Sure enough, she did.
I asked her if she wanted to talk to Jesus about her sins, forgiveness, thanking Him for dying for her and offering new life by raising from the dead, and anything else that was on her heart. She replied with an immediate, "Yes." Lily, observing our whole conversation, quickly followed with, "I want to pray too."
It. Was. Precious.
There we knelt, the three of us, in a sanctuary full of loud and rowdy kids [and adults :) ] but it was as if we were the only three there. That in and of itself is amazing. Mia is SO easily distracted by the smallest little thing. A noise, a slight movement, almost anything. I thank God for the forcefield that seemed to encompass us. Not once did Mia look away, get detoured to any of the millions of things going on around us, or lose track of any syllable of our conversation or time of prayer!
Mia prayed. Lily prayed. I prayed. Lily and I prayed for Mia.
As I told her about why Nellie was crying [tears of thankfulness and joy], I told her about her adoption into another family [she was adopted from China]; the family of God. With clear acknowledgement of the incredible privilege I was being given, I embraced Mia as my new sister in Christ. I couldn't hug that girl with any more gusto than I did in that moment.
I love you, Mia. Welcome to the family.
No comments:
Post a Comment