You know that noise that occurs when a marble or pebble hits the water from a fair distance above? That wonderful 'ker-thunk' of a plop noise? That's the sound and picture I've heard and seen a number of times over the last few weeks and months - both within myself, and from others as they're sharing. What? You didn't know you could hear others' 'ker-thunks'?!? :)
Shifts.
Traveling from cognitive to heart.
En route to destination.
Theory to reality.
Ker-thunks.
I'm hoping you have a least one reference to pull from to know what I'm speaking of. The greatest, of course, being the knowing (cognitively) you're loved by God, and then KNOWING (on a gut/spirit/soul reality level) you're loved by God. Come on, you know that shift that occurs. TRANSFORMATION. You are truly transformed. It comes out in your actions, your words, the ways you approach people. You even see things through new eyes.
The ker-thunks lately have variety in size and level of 'ker-thunk-ness', but have all ker-thunked nonetheless. Do you like how I've totally taken a noise and made up a verb and an adjective from it?! ha.
Some examples and celebrations:
We've all heard (and have probably said and even believe) the phrase, "It's the journey, not the destination", right? I've known that phrase. I've walked and lived it in multiple aspects and seasons of life. I've heartedly shared it with others. Ker-thunk. A shift occurred. Root underneath it all: walking more deeply in the Truth of who God really is, and more deeply knowing His ways are better than anything we could think or want.
While watching "Thor" I thought about transformation. For a brief minute I thought, "Man, if only our transformation [and others'] could really be like that!" Big strapping man's man, powerful, leader... and selfish and arrogant as all get out! But then, rather rapidly (it is the movies after all), his eyes were opened, his heart changed, his actions different. Still big strapping man's man, yes. Still a leader, yes. But now he was serving others, sacrificing for others, loving and watching out not for his own well-being, but those around him. His power became all the more powerful. He lost none of his masculinity. In my opinion, his masculinity increased! (My femininity was touched!)
But oh how much we'd miss if our transformation really did occur like Thor's -- meaning, seemingly 'overnight'. Granted, there are times when the Lord does bring about transformation in areas of our lives (some big, some small) literally overnight - I have been the recipient! But, that is typically not the norm. The ker-thunk in each of us, within each of those lessons and journeys, would be amiss. And isn't it, more often than not, those ker-thunks which "seal the deal" in those transformation times? Is it not those 'ah ha!' ker-thunk moments which cause 'it' to sink down into our depths changing us forever.
Ker-thunk.
The Lord brought a flashback. How many times, over many years, did I get so frustrated with the Lord's timing and ways! My statement was usually something along the lines of, "OK! You see 'it' (whatever the sin was), now I see it, so what are we waiting for?!?! Let's get rid of this!" I desperately wanted to be the woman He created me to be. Still do. But my exasperation and urgency never seemed to surprise Him or cause Him to realize that He'd been slacking or lollygaging along my sanctification process. Hmph.
It's the journey, not the destination. Yes, I know! His timing is perfect. YES, I KNOW.
"I want to be who You made me to be! I want to be like You!" Yes, HE knows.
The Lord cares even more about your sanctification and transformation than you do! (Oh striving-for-perfection one!) Yes, and imagine, all things along the journey really are for a purpose. His timing really is perfect in every single capacity. And, He really is sovereign -- and not lollygaging-- even over every miniscule aspect of your transformation.
Well, Thor, thanks for modeling our journey in hyper-speed. I'm thankful I can watch you with hopeful eyes -- knowing as the Shepherd speaks I will hear His voice and follow, and not eyes that lead to frustration and striving. I will continue to press on and pursue after Him and a life of godliness, but I do so with peace and assurance.
Originally I was planning on including two additional ker-thunks: discipline & desire, and eating disorder, but I know some of you are beginning to wiggle in your seats. Alright, get up already!
Great insight, and onomatopoeia. Just remember the true power of grace is that God loves sinners- Paul was a murderer, David an adulterer, but both loved by God.
ReplyDeleteOh, and Thor was pretty good, though you are much cuter than Natalie Portman :)
Hey Mahoney ;)
ReplyDeleteLoved your blog. Journeying with you has been such a joy & privilege. I love being "en route to Destination" with you, dear friend.
~Priscilla
Hi, Janelle
ReplyDeleteYour wisdom and insight continue to amaze me and deeply touch my heart. You are a truly amazing woman. I can't wait to hear about additional "ker-thunks"! :))
~Darin