Wednesday, June 24, 2009

classic


Today was "skirt day" at the house. Why? Because we're girls and girls like to be girly sometimes. Though we'd been talking about it for days, Mia [my current little protestor - to EVERYTHING] decided this morning she would was not going to participate. [This is really all irrelevant to my "classic" story.]

Lily's piano lesson was at a different location than normal today; a location I was unaware of. In the midst of our spontaneous outing this morning I opted for us to take a picnic lunch to a nearby park before heading to piano lessons. The time for piano grew nearer and nearer, making our lunch-eating-minutes fewer and fewer. So, rather than a park [where I knew it would take my girls twice as long to eat while being easily distracted by all the other people there] I decided it best to find out where exactly piano was going to be and then base our picnic spot on that. 

I had a few landmarks I knew to watch for... Islamic temple, Jewish worship center, and the road name. Sounds fairly simple. As I'm driving along I'm crossing things off my list....[insert thought bubble here] okay, there's the Jewish center. Ah, yes, the Islamic temple. Okay... so the road should be... ah yes, there it is. Good. Hmm, now wait a minute. I know she said you could see the Islamic temple from the parking lot... is that the Montessori School? Interesting. I don't know. *At this point I called a couple people to google map me to the right location, but no one answered. "Well girls, the only way to know is to go in and ask." And in I went.

I walked in. No one attending the reception desk. I hear a little knock knocking on the mirror-looking window and barely see a hand waving me around. Around the side of the office, and into the door. "Hi, I'm looking for a Montessori School. Can you help me?" "Yes, actually, it's right next door. If you..... [at this point I'm beginning to hear the whaaa waaahhh whaaa of Charlie Brown's teacher. Why? Well, because it's in this moment I get passed the pressures of time and needing to find my destination, and I tune into the present moment. Here I am in a doorway of an office occupied by three women fully covered- like reverently covered. Head covering, long robes, covered feet, all dark and earth-tone colors, etc. No, they weren't nuns. And then there I stand - my hair sassy and pixie-like with bobby pins ensuring it would look that way, strappy flip-flops, frilly & twirl-ly skirt, and spaghetti-strap tank tops! It is summer in Florida after all. Wow, what an abominable sight I must have been! I silently gasped on the inside. After being notified the school I was looking for was right on the other side of the playground and thanking the nice women, I turned to walk out and muttered "classic" under my breath. Wow!]

On another note: while picnicking...

Lily: HUGE GASP! "Nellie! I just saw a raccoon!" 

Me: "No way! Where?"

Lily: "Scampering!"

Precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment