watch a stingray feeding. the lower oval shape (under the gill-looking slits) is actually his distended stomach against the glass. *Important note about stingrays belowThere was a new exhibit, Grossology, that was all about the body and it's functions. Though some say it stands true to it's name and is in fact gross, I think they've made learning about the body and the different functions it performs pretty fascinating, fun, and hands-on. You could walk inside a huge nose and read all about why it runs, what causes sneezes, how fast the air blows out, and the varying other functions of the differing parts of the nose. There were many other parts of the body to explore and interact with while learning all about it's different functions, smells, and sounds. If you're in the greater Orlando area it's worth taking a few-hours and journeying through all kinds of learning and fun. If you're not in the Orlando area, I encourage you to find your local science or exploratory center and go in with the mind of wonderment and awe.
*For those of you who have not heard, please allow me to inform you of the "stingray shuffle." [Sorry Mel, but it is now our duty to get the word out :)] Stingrays do not bite, they stab/sting [as I'm sure we're all aware of from the story of Steve Irwin]. Their tales, or barb, have venom in them that they use as their defense. The venom cannot actually do much to you other than induce TONS, and I'm talkin TONS of pain. Depending on how much venom they got in you, the intense pain will last anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. If you are stung by a stingray you should immerse the affected area in the hottest water you can tolerate. The hot water helps break up the venom and will begin to ease the pain. To avoid being stung in the first place you do the "stingray shuffle."
Yes, I said the "stingray shuffle."
You know when you're hanging out at the beach and sometimes you just like to hang out in the shallow [up to your knees] water? Well, the stingrays happen to like the shallower water too. Shuffle your feet! I know it's fun to let the water and sand wash over your feet taking you deeper into the earth with each pull of the tide, but if you want to avoid the sting, do the shuffle. My poor friend Mel was unaware of the "stingray shuffle" [as was I until she informed me!] and got stung on her lovely vacation and time away with her husband. She expressed the pain being quite fierce and infection on her foot was less than enjoyable for her.
So what are our lessons here? Go to the science center & have fun AND... do the shuffle!







thank you Janelle. PEOPLE, PLEASE, I BEG YOU! DO THE SHUFFLE. It was one of the worst pains I have ever felt and I have been nursing the infected wound for a solid month. And to think we pet these things at Sea World! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the shout Janelle. I would love to hang out sometime. this week?
mel
Thank you from the bottom of my...feet for the shuffle tip! And, just for the record, I never wanted to be a rhinotillexomaniac when I grew up.
ReplyDelete